The Math and Computer Studies Department of SRB
Welcome to Sir Robert Borden. We have a great school and an excellent mathematics department full of committed teachers who care deeply and work hard for their students. We strive model the school character attributes of Respect, Appreciation, and Perseverance, and apply them in our math classrooms.
What's Special about SRB MATH?
- Our Mastery program is a cornerstone of our philosophy. Through this program, students master and retain basic knowledge that is the foundation for further learning, and is required for success as they progress through the grades. This program was developed by our former Department Head Rob McLeish.
- We are committed to the use of manipulatives in our Math classrooms. Through the use of manipulatives, students access physical models that build their core understanding (not just memorizing) of critical concepts such as algebra and functions. Manipulatives are also a powerful general modeling and problem solving tools, and are particularly powerful for kinesthetic and applied learners.
- We are committed to the use of technology to facilitate deep understanding. Graphing calculators are incredibly powerful learning tools that are supplied and integrated throughout our courses. Students frequently visit computer labs to work with software such as Geometers Sketchpad, Fathom Statistical Software. The internet is bursting with interesting data, programs, and real-life math examples.
- We support progressive teaching and assessment methods that focus on developing life-long learning through the mathematical processes. These methods include incorporation of an investigative approach in many lessons.
- The MOB is a peer-focused math support group that runs most days after school, and is supervised by math teacher volunteers. It is an example of our team approach, and our department philosophy to support the development of our students competence and confidence in Math.
We hope these pages will inform and assist you. Included here are introductions to our staff, department policy documents, mastery information and ma, support materials for various courses, course selection information, contest information/results, and links. Please pass on suggestions for the site to Mr. Blakely.
We are very proud of our students! They are a diverse, energetic, entursiastic group who work hard and take responsibility for their learning. Our school participation rates in mathematics and computer contests are among the highest in the city, and our team typically ranks very well. many of our graduates receive prestigious scholarships to universites. Typically, our students perform better than Board and provincial means on the EQAO test of grade 9 math in every category.